Friday, January 22, 2010

Not able to control which parts of vision i notice things not in consiously directed central vision?

I have developed a very weird problem - when im around a person/people I look at them in my periphery without meaning too, even if i am trying to look 180 degrees away from them. Some part of my brain becomes fixated on them and they become part of what im looking at, even if they are sitting all the way to the side of me and at the limit of my periphery (e.g on a bus) and im tryin to look exclusively straight ahead at a object in the distance. It also happens at home when I watch tv alone, I could be sitting there watchin tele then suddenly it will come to my attention the issues im having in public etc and then somehow i will select an object in my periperhal vision randomly and become fixated on it, and the only way i can get out of this mode is to try and forget about it (zoning out of it unknowingly while paying attention to the tele ) but when im around people they constantly move etc so i think this just perptuates the problem to an exttent (i think someone has already asked this question)...But on top of this problem, another, even WORSE problem has developed where when im talkin to people face to face, regardless of gender (btw im a heterosexual guy) and i end up noticing their private parts in my peripheral vision aswell being able to look at their face with my central vision at the same time whilst in conversation with them .Im not sure why im doing it, but i think its gotten worse in a very short space of time because I have gotten panikcy about whether people can notice me doing it and so i have limited conversation with anyone but close friends and family . This latter problem is what has now made me apprehensive about asking a psychiatrist about in person because its sounds so pathetically embarrasing, and ive only mentioned the horizontal peripheral vision issues thus far to my gp and friends. I just wanted to know from the members of this site, particulary women, if they can notice when men are engaged on their private parts with their periperhal vision while in convo with them (because im sure some men must do it from time to time, or so ive read), because i think this has made the problem persistent , maybe because of a loop created in panicky circumstances??? I'd appreciate any adivce at all, and thanks....Not able to control which parts of vision i notice things not in consiously directed central vision?
I think you should just chill out and relax. The more you're getting paranoid about this the more of an issue it's getting for you and the more you're noticing. Everyone finds themselves doing things like this occasionally, and once you notice something and get embarrassed about it it's quite hard to stop noticing lol. Particularly if it's something like the way a guys trousers are sticking out or something! Seriously, don't worry about it and once you stop thinking about it you'll stop noticing as much. It's completely normal.Not able to control which parts of vision i notice things not in consiously directed central vision?
You sound as though you're developing an obsessive compulsive habit. I think that a therapist might be a good idea. This isn't anything to be embarrassed about. I wish I could give you better advice about the root of your preoccupation but I have no background on you. Therapy might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment