Friday, January 22, 2010

Would I make a good Air Traffic Control Operator? (Directed to current controllers)?

My situation-





I'm a 24 year old male living in Oregon. I am soon to graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Communications. I hold Private Pilot and IFR ratings with around 110 hours. I have been a 911 dispatcher/police dispatcher in a small county for 5 years.





I understand that FAA prefers military experience or AT-CTI school graduates, however I don't wish to pursue either of those venues. What are my chances of being selected next to others with more direct experience?Would I make a good Air Traffic Control Operator? (Directed to current controllers)?
My suggestion is apply to any opening in any state you wouldn't hate living in. If you only apply to openings in say Oregon, you might never get a shot. The instrument will help you out quite a bit in OKC though which is great.





Were I you though I'd take an extra year, get an AS at a 2 year CTI and go from there. Better chance of placement and passing at OKC all while only taking an extra year (part time at that given your BS) of classes.Would I make a good Air Traffic Control Operator? (Directed to current controllers)?
Cannot help on the US specific stuff, but I know that in europe your capacity to think laterally across multiple situations holds a large chunk of points in the weightings, you can be taught technical knowledge but reaction / skill is built in.





Good luck with you future career,





James

No comments:

Post a Comment