Friday, January 22, 2010

Will I be able to do damage control on my own case of ringworm while still in direct contact with my kitten?

A few weeks ago I tried to be a Good Samaritan and brought home a five week old kitten who had gotten separated from his mother and litter. The kitten had ringworm, and it progressed to be pretty severe before I was able to recognize what it was. I was completely symptomless until a few days ago, when two rogue spots showed up on my arm and groin area.





Since then, I've treated the kitten and the room:


- I've taken the kitten to the vet and gotten his hair clipped, and also gotten LymDyp and an antifungal spray to help him get over his case--I'm fairly confident he'll be fine in a few weeks.


- I've also thrown away what couldn't be disinfected in my room and bleached the floors, Lysol-ed the walls and couches, and washed exposed fabrics in vinegar and baking soda (since most of them are colored).





BUT the problem is I can't put him anywhere else (I'm a renter in a house of six other people). My two spots have multiplied to two dozen or so all over my arms, legs, and neck. I've tried Lotrimin, vinegar, and clear nail polish, and so far not only has it just spread further, the itching has become a constant burn.





I don't have the money to go see a physician and get a prescription, so any tips on how to kill the fungus would be great, but even more importantly, is it only being perpetuated because I'm in contact with the kitten? Will I not be able to ever get better because I have to take care of him in my bedroom? Does anyone have tips?Will I be able to do damage control on my own case of ringworm while still in direct contact with my kitten?
Isn't it the most annoying thing? I've had it, too. I used to work at a veterinary clinic and it seemed I always had at least a couple lesions somewhere on my body. For me, it always cleared up with Lamisil cream, but it always seemed to take several weeks before I'd notice any improvement. I don't know how long you've been using the Lotrimin, but if it hasn't been very long, maybe you should just keep at it and be patient. But if it's been a while and you're not noticing any improvement at all, then I think you should try something else. I'm giving you a link to a web site that explains A LOT about ringworm (causes, treatments, etc.). When you get to the site, make sure you read the ';Patient Discussion'; section at the bottom of the page. I read a few comments that people posted and they told about what treatments worked for them (without going to a doctor for a prescription). So maybe some of their suggestions will work for you, too. Anyway, here's the link.





http://www.medicinenet.com/ringworm/arti鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment