Friday, January 22, 2010

I'm directing a group of children. I want to do a musical, but which should I do? How do I keep control too?

I was recently offered by a friend to direct an acting group I have been a part of for 7 years. I'm very excited about it and can't wait to start. There are a few probelms though. Since this is the 50th Anniversary of this program, we want to stage a musical, but we don't know which one to do, and how to possibly do it with a bunch of 3rd - 9th graders. Putting on a show with kids that young with music, dances, and lines can get tense, and I speak from experience.


Another problem I have is controlling kids. I would like to think I'm a leader, even though I'm probably not. Sure I like kids, but I have a hard time keeping them under control, and getting them to obey orders and such. It's a major problem I would like to solve but I don't know how.


This is going to be alot of fun and a great challenge, so I'd like these problems solved before I start. Thank you!!I'm directing a group of children. I want to do a musical, but which should I do? How do I keep control too?
I'd like to explore this with you, beyond here,,, through e mail, simply because I have been involved for so many years.





You don't state your age, and what relation you might have with any principals,,,especially mature individulas.





When I read this the first time my first thought was WIZARD OF OZ.





Without great elaboration here I'll offer why.





First of all, you need good back support, meaning stage mgr's and ASM's... You will likely have stage mothers stumbling over each other,,, No offense,,, a 3rd grader might need MOM close.


Costumers certainly can improvise anything from anything, if they are credible. Additional elistment of volunteers to act as anything you need,,,are essential,,IE: Kid Wranglers.





Now my rational.





This is a story that can utilize ';Adult'; types as well as ';Munchkins,,,smiles.





Depending on your direction, and your Plan as it's developed, the youngest can be BIT players, merely on stage to ACT as they do, even out of any costume. They need not BE ON for long periods, nor have any specific lines, but certainly can be TAUGHT to sing along, and create the major basis for the environmemnt, beyond the Principals.





The 5 truly main characters can easily be teens, and makeup works wonders,,, as it might if you had to have the prelude scene in Kansas, and near the final curtain.





Actually if I was designing this, I'd drop most of the black and white lead in,,, and drop them into OZ within the first few minutes. Everyone knows the story anyway.





You might consider enlisting at least one real ADULT to be the WIZARD.





If I currently had this opportunity, I'd press on with the entire budget, and create a performance that anyone can sit through.





Steven WolfI'm directing a group of children. I want to do a musical, but which should I do? How do I keep control too?
Hi, there is a bunch of ';broadway for kids'; musicals. You can search them like that. I have personally presented Aladin with kids from 4 to 10 years old and it was great!





If you want me to help you step by step through this expirience or have some questions about how to organize or calm them; or about performance, dance and singing feel free to add me to your msn or send me an e-mail. najlamich@hotmail.com
You might try the Sound of Music which had kids in it. As for control, here are a few things that will help. Have a detailed plan for your time. Have a definite place for the kids to sit when they are not involved. With younger kids, compliment the ones who are doing the right thing. If older students need to be corrected, pull them aside instead of yelling in front of others. Have the music recorded so that you can watch the kids unless you have a pianist. Good luck!
When I was helping out at a children's theater backstage, we would LITERALLY duck tape the littlest ones to the wall. It's not as drastic as it sounds...we would just put a couple of little pieces on each shoulder and maybe on the side of their legs.





Keeping in mind that my partner and I were about 20 at the time, we had other unorthodox methods, as well. We would, for example, tie girls' shoelaces together to teach them to take little steps for their roles in a Chinese play we were doing.





As a REAL teacher now (alarming as that may sound) there is something to be said for not being too dictatorial. We were basically kids leading kids, so we took the big sister approach. When you need to lay down the law, if you have to raise your voice, the kids take you more seriously if it's a rare occurence. Weird, but that's what I've experienced!
You must have a reliable and organized right-hand person -Stage Manager/Assistant Director. This is a must. He/she can run scenes, manage props, assist the cast with entrances/cues, and keep the peace backstage while you focus on directing.





You should write out a calendar of what scenes you will be running each night- all the kids may not need to be there every rehearsal. As you progress, the schedule may need to be altered, but at least you have a structure and plan.





Obviously, you will need to know the script inside and out before rehearsals begin, and have a clear and strong vision. Kids will need to be directed very specifically.





You should let everyone know upfront, parents and kids, the kind of dedication and focus that will be required. A general rehearsal and production overview should be on the audition form.





The parents should have to state any potential schedule conflicts on the backside of the sheet. I guarantee that more scheduling conflicts will mysteriously pop up after you have cast the show.





With kids, I would recommend having one or two ';alternates'; to cover roles. You may want to allow the understudies to do one of the shows as a reward for their commitment.





You should have a list of the scenes posted backstage to help the kids keep track of the show, and be on time for entrances.





Get the parents involved making costumes, painting sets, doing box office, etc.





I would recommend ';You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown'; or ';Alice in Wonderland';.





I hope this helps a little. Best of luck.
Go to www.childrentheatreplays.com/playlist.ht鈥?br>

There list is long!!!!!!!!!
My advice is to look at Annie Jr. or Once on this Island Jr. and do one of those. Secondly, there's a great book on discipline called, ';Discipline in the Secondary'; (since you have teens in there) that will give you great tips on group management and give you a peek into the psychology of a hormonal teenager.





Make SURE that you prepare AS MUCH for the STRUCTURE of the rehearsals as you do the CONTENT of the rehearsals, or your life will be difficult. Make sure you know where EVERY SINGLE KID is going to BE and what they are going to DO at every second. If they don't have anything to do there, the only option is for them to get in trouble, so DON'T have them there except when they absolutely HAVE to be.





Good luck! You'll need to schedule a week off of work after closing night. . . . .
  • acne scars
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment